HORSE SLAUGHTER BILL UP FOR COMMITTEE VOTE
September 8, 2008
AWI has learned that the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act (H.R. 6598) will be voted on by the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, September 10th. The bill, which was introduced in July by Judiciary Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) and Representative Dan Burton (R-IN), will criminalize the slaughter of American horses. While the vast majority of Americans, the United States Congress and members of the House Judiciary Committee support an end to horse slaughter there are some members on the committee who are staunch supporters of horse slaughter and will attempt to kill the bill through subterfuge.
What You Can Do:
Call members of the House Judiciary Committee (see full list below) TODAY and ask them “to support passage of the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act (H.R. 6598) out of committee as introduced, with NO amendments”. Please also ask them “to cosponsor H.R. 6598 if they haven’t done so already.” Let them know that:
* Despite the closure of the country’s three remaining horse slaughter plants in 2007, tens of thousands of American horses continue to be slaughtered in Canada and Mexico in the absence of a strong US law banning prohibiting the trade.
* Despite claims to the contrary, horse slaughter is not a necessary evil through which sick, old and unwanted horses are humanely disposed of. The industry is a predatory one that actively seeks out marketable and healthy horses to be slaughtered at great profit.
* According to the US Department of Agriculture, more than 92% of horses going to slaughter are in good condition and could be placed in a new home.
* Those horses who are truly sick or old should be humanely euthanized on the spot by a licensed veterinarian.
* Horsemeat is considered a delicacy in many European and Asian countries where it is consumed by high-end diners.
* The Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act (H.R. 6598) will end this cruel trade for good. Ending horse slaughter is a positive step in improving horse welfare in the US, which is why so many horse industry groups and leaders, veterinarians, humane organizations and equine rescues strongly support an end to horse slaughter.
NOTE: Because of the urgency and limited time we encourage you to call each office and ask for their support.
There is no need to contact Chairman Conyers or Representative Scott given their lead on the bill itself.
Names in red are those who have not supported measures to end horse slaughter.
* Denotes this member has a history of supporting measures to end horse slaughter.
Bolded name denotes they are a current cosponsor of H.R. 6598.
The Honorable John Conyers, Jr., (MI)*
The Honorable Lamar Smith (TX)
The Honorable Mark Berman (CA)*
The Honorable John Sensenbrenner (WI)
The Honorable Rick Boucher (VA)*
The Honorable Howard Coble (NC)
The Honorable Jerry Nadler (NY)*
The Honorable Bob Goodlatte (VA)
The Honorable Bobby Scott (VA)*
The Honorable Elton Gallegly (CA)*
The Honorable Melvin Watt (NC)*
The Honorable Steve Chabot (OH)*
The Honorable Zoe Lofgren (CA)*
The Honorable Dan Lungren (CA)*
The Honorable Sheila Jackson Lee (TX)*
The Honorable Chris Cannon (UT)
The Honorable Maxine Waters (CA)*
The Honorable Jim Delahunt (MA)*
The Honorable Ric Keller (FL)*
The Honorable Robert Wexler (FL)*
The Honorable Darrell Issa (CA)*
The Honorable Linda Sanchez (CA)
The Honorable Mike Pence (IN)*
The Honorable Steve Cohen (TN)*
The Honorable Randy Forbes (VA)*
The Honorable Hank Johnson (GA)*
The Honorable Steve King (IA)
The Honorable Betty Sutton (OH)*
The Honorable Tom Feeney (FL)
The Honorable Gutierrez (IL)*
The Honorable Trent Franks (AZ)
The Honorable Brad Sherman (CA)*
The Honorable Louie Gohmert (TX)
The Honorable Tammy Baldwin (WI)*
The Honorable Jim Jordan (OH)
The Honorable Anthony Weiner (NY)*
The Honorable Adam Schiff (CA)*
The Honorable Artur Davis (AL)*
The Honorable Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL)*
The Honorable Keith Ellison (MN)*